Welcome to the 2013 Best Indie Books Submission page.
You Could Win Over $1,200 in Cash and Prizes!
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS:
COME BACK ON JULY 1, 2013 WHEN WE’LL ANNOUNCE THE SEMIFINALISTS
About the Contest:
If you think your book has what it takes to earn a 2013 Best Indie Book Award, you have come to the right place. Awards and publicity sell books, and this contest has it all… CASH, credentials, and book marketing credits at top-rated book sites!
Awards: $300 cash + NOW OVER $900 in promo credit to EACH winner (x8) compliments of our sponsors!
Who are our sponsors? The BEST in the business.
Support our sponsors and tell them “The Kindle Book Review sent you.”
Qualifications: Any indie/small press author (book) published to Amazon between May 1, 2012 and May 1, 2013 (see categories). ONLY ONE (1) BOOK PER AUTHOR.
Format: All ebooks must be formatted in a Kindle acceptable file such as MOBI, PRC, AZW, AZW1, TXT.
When: Registration starts February 1, 2013 and ends May 1, 2013 (Final cut off… no exceptions).
What are the Categories?
- YA (Young Adult)
- Literary Fiction
- Memoir/Fictionalized Memoir (No “How-To” non-fiction)
- Short Story/Novellas
Prizes and Promotional Credit Packages:
- Each winner (x8) will receive $300 in cash courtesy of The Kindle Book Review ($250) and Digital Book Today ($50).
- Kindle Boards
: $50 group-wide promotional credit via a post announcing winners.
TOTAL PROMOTIONAL CREDIT: $918
TOTAL CASH PRIZE: $300
TOTAL AWARD PER WINNER: $1,218 in cash and promotional credit!
Winning This Contest Could be a Game Changer!
This contest is ONLY possible because of the reviewers here at The Kindle Book Review. These folks have read and reviewed over 800 books in the last year and a half. Thank you KBR reviewers!
Here’s how the contest works:
1. You register.
2. Your submission goes to our 3 screeners (Comprised of our top reviewers).
3. The screeners will read a sampling from your book (equivalent to the sample in the “Look Inside” section Amazon provides on your book page). In order to advance as a “Semi-finalist”, you must earn 2 out of 3 “yes” votes from the screeners. If you pass the first test, you advance as a”Semi-finalist”.
4. We will announce the Semi-finalists on July 1, 2013
5. The Semi-finalists’ books will be sent to the genre specific judges. The judges will read your full manuscript.
6. We will announce the 40 Top-5 Finalists in each category on Sept. 1, 2013.
7. We will announce the 8 winners on October 1, 2013.
What are we looking for? We are awarding the very best indie/small press books. It’s that simple.
What’s the judging criteria?: These books must grab us in the first several pages, have excellent literary quality (great story/plot/excellent writing/editing and character development) and be professionally formatted. Only the most professional books will win. Period. Here’s exactly what we are looking for…
Cover image: Does the cover look professional? Grab our attention? (Not judged in initial screening. Used only when deciding the Top-5 finalists, and Winners).
Formatting: Is the book professionally formatted for Kindle?
Sample: Does the sample grab us from the beginning?
Plot: Is it exciting/intriguing/original?
Writing: Is the writing excellent?
Editing: Aside from writing skills, is the book edited professionally?
Characters: Are the characters fully developed? Point of view used correctly?
Themes: Does the book make you think/change the reader? Or is it extremely entertaining?
Story: Did we get lost in the story?
Ending: Was the ending satisfying?
What if my book doesn’t fit into the genres listed: We understand that there are many more categories than we’ve listed. We recommend finding the closest category. Simply write your genre in the “other” category (see registration form).
I don’t have a Kindle file. How can I properly format my book?
First of all, if your book is already published to Amazon, you should have a file. We recommend that you have your ebook professionally formatted because it is always best to have your own digital files to provide to reviewers, etc. You can also download your ebook file by going to your KDP Bookshelf, click on “edit book details” and then scroll down the page until you come to “Preview your Book” and click on the blue link “downloadable book preview file”. This is a mobi formatted file. But if you don’t have a mobi file for example, I recommend Ted Risk at Dellaster designs
. He can turn a doc file into polished ebook for kindle and most other platforms. Ted has a 24-48 hour turn around time, and does a fantastic job.
Why ONLY Kindle format? Because we are The “Kindle” Book Review, we only deal in Kindle books, and all our reviewers have Kindle eReaders.
History: The 2012 Best Indie Book Contest
was established and judged solely by the reviewers here at The Kindle Book Review. Our reviewers are avid readers, judges at contests like The San Francisco Book Fair, Phd’s, and readers just like you. They pre-screened hundreds of books in 2012, and have read hundreds more this year alone, aside from the contest. 2012 was a great year; we highlighted dozens of amazing authors and are proud of them all. You can see those winners and finalists HERE
How Can You Help Promote the Contest?
1. Pay attention to important “announcement” dates and send your readers/fans here to see the semi-finalists, finalists, and winner lists. Important dates are July, 1 (announce Semi-finalists)—Sept. 1 (announce Top-5 Category Finalists)—Oct.1 (announce Winners).
2. Paste the html code below on your blog and write a blog post. Feel free to grab the image below.
3. Tweet about the contest and tweet our announcements. Here’s the short link to this page: http://ow.ly/hj5eO
- Here’s the long link: http://www.thekindlebookreview.net/2013-best-indie-book-contest/
- Here’s a sample tweet: Register for The 2013 Best Indie Book Awards @Kindlbookreview http://ow.ly/hj5eO You could WIN over $1,000 in CA$H and Prizes! #amwriting
4. Post a Link on Facebook and at your writer groups/associations (see links in #3).
Copy the following HTML code to get our contest badge:
<a href=”http://www.thekindlebookreview.net/2013-best-indie-book-contest/”><img class=”aligncenter size-full wp-image-5478″ title=”2013BIABANNER-adjusted-2-1″ src=”http://www.thekindlebookreview.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2013BIABANNER-adjusted-2-11.jpg” alt=”" width=”200″ height=”299″ /></a>
**If you would like to submit your book in 2014, join our Author Mailing list HERE.
**If you’d like to subscribe to The Kindle Book Review click HERE.